Skip to main content
Tulane Home Tulane Sheild logo linking to site home page

FAQs for Current Students

How do I find out who my advisor is?

If you don’t know who your advisor is you can look at the top of your degree audit, call the front desk at 504-865-5798 to find out, or stop in Mussafer Hall (building #9) and ask a student worker to look it up for you.

Why do I have a different advisor this year?

Advisors are assigned to students based on their primary major. If you switched your major recently, it’s possible you were reassigned to another advisor who specializes in your new school. Additionally, as with any office, we have new staff members starting and occasionally staff members leaving, and in an effort to balance caseloads among advisors, sometimes students are shifted to other advisors.

I have pressing issues to discuss, but my advisor doesn’t have any available appointments for the next few weeks. What can I do?

If your advisor isn’t immediately available and you have pressing questions, you should first try emailing your advisor. Mussafer Hall has an Advisor of the Day on staff to answer basic academic advising questions if your regular advisor is unavailable; the Advisor of the Day station is on the first floor of Mussafer Hall (building #9).

How can I meet with a pre-health or pre-law advisor?

You can schedule an appointment to meet with a pre-health or pre-law advisor here.

Who should I see for assistance in planning classes in my major?

You need to see your faculty advisor for help in planning classes in your major. If you haven’t declared yet, check with your academic advisor. Your academic advisor can refer you to the department that you are curious about.

How do I declare a major and when do I need to do this?

You must declare your major before the end of your sophomore year, but you are welcome to do so earlier. You can learn more about how to declare a major here. Keep in mind each department handles the process of major declaration slightly differently, so you should also consult departmental websites for additional information.

What is the difference between double majors and dual degrees?

To earn a double major, you must complete only one set of core requirements for the school that your primary major is housed in, in addition to your secondary major requirements.

For a dual degree, you must complete the core requirements for both of the schools your major is housed in. For example, if you earn a Dual Degree in Psychology and Philosophy, you must complete the School of Science & Engineering’s core requirements in addition to the School of Liberal Arts’ core requirements. You also must complete 150 credits (as opposed to 120), 88 of them above the 1000 level (as opposed to 66 above the 1000 level).  You can talk to your advisor about whether it would be wise for you to pursue a dual degree or not.

How do I drop a class?

You can drop a class using Gibson Online up until the Last Day to Drop with record provided you remain enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits (exceptions made for students in their final semester when fewer than 12 credits are needed to complete degree requirements).

You should consult the current Academic Calendar and adhere to drop dates ( If you drop a class after the last day to drop without record, you will receive a “W” on your transcript. You can talk to your advisor about the potential ramifications of doing this.

How do I make a course S/U (Satisfactory/ Unsatisfactory)?

To change the grade type of a course to Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory you need to fill out 2 different forms: an add/drop form to change your grade type, and an S/U policy form. It is recommended that you consult your advisor before changing one of your classes to S/U as there could be consequences to this decision that you may have not considered (e.g. eligibility for Dean's list or potential ramifications if applying to graduate or professional schools).

Can I repeat a class?

Pursuant to the Newcomb-Tulane policy about repeating courses, if you earn a D-, D, or D+ in a course you can repeat this course. When you repeat the course, your initial grade and your retake grades will be averaged together in your cumulative gpa, and both grades will appear on your transcript. You won’t receive credit for a repeated course unless you failed the course initially. You should be enrolled in a full semester (12 credits) in order to repeat a course, in addition to the repeated course.  See all academic policies for the current academic year here: University Catalogs.

I want to take a summer class at home. Will the credits count towards my Newcomb-Tulane College degree?

You must meet with your advisor to determine your eligibility to take courses over the summer. If you are eligible, your advisor will determine whether the school(s) you have in mind are acceptable and if so, will give you the required paperwork and refer you to departments for specific course approvals.

Will I have time to study abroad?

Newcomb-Tulane College encourages all who wish to study abroad to do so. Meet with your advisor to determine if this would make sense for you in your current degree plan and if so, when would be an ideal time for you to study abroad.

Once you meet with your academic advisor, you should also meet with a study abroad advisor ( and your major advisor(s). 

How do I get on the Dean’s List?

Students who have earned a distinguished record in all of their subjects throughout the semester may be recognized on the Dean's List of Newcomb-Tulane College (NTC).

The Dean’s List is issued at the end of the fall and spring semesters based on all final course grades and recognizes superior academic achievement. It includes all full-time, degree-seeking students in Newcomb-Tulane College who have a grade point average of 3.700 or better and who have earned no grade below a “C” during the same semester (excluding courses taken on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis). Students are notified via email of their inclusion on the Dean’s List.”

How do I access my degree audit?

To access your degree audit, log in to Gibson online with your Tulane email and password. From the Student Tab, go to the bottom of the page and select “Degree Audit.” Select "Current Degree Program Audit" and click the "Submit" button.

For more information about how to read your degree audit, schedule an appointment with your advisor, and consult the following website: [insert updated website]

How do I access my transcript?

The Registrar’s Office handles transcript requests. You may order electronic and/or mailed transcripts through the “Order A Transcript” link in Gibson Online.

Who has access to my academic record?

Pursuant to the Family Educational and Privacy Act (FERPA), you have a right to privacy regarding your educational record, meaning that access to your academic information is limited to University officials who need this information to perform their job duties. If you would like to grant another person access to your educational record (i.e. a parent), you must sign a Release of Information form. If you do not have a signed and dated FERPA release form on file, your advisor will be unable to answer parent questions beyond general academic policies. You may download a copy of the FERPA release form here.

How do I graduate with honors?

Beginning in Fall 2013, all Latin honors at Tulane are awarded on the basis of GPA alone. (The Honors Thesis and Honors courses are no longer be required for high Latin honors.) Students achieving GPA in the top 30% of the class will receive Latin honors according to the following:

Summa cum laude = top 5% of the class.
Magna cum laude = next 10% of the class.
Cum laude = next 15% of the class.

The precise GPA standards will be calculated based on the grades of the previous class; these standards will be advertised to students each the summer.

Please read more about the Honors Department’s rules and regulations here.

How do I calculate my GPA?

The grade-point average (GPA) is determined by dividing the student’s total number of quality points by the total number of quality hours. Quality hours are all credits for which a letter grade was earned. This excludes transfer credit, AP and IB credit, and courses taken for a Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) grade type. Quality points are the sum of each course grade (on a 4-point scale) multiplied by the course credit hours. Example: B+ in ENGL 1010, a four-credit course, is worth 13.332 quality points (B+ = 3.333 quality points x 4 credits = 13.332 quality points) Graduation requires a 2.000 grade-point average, equivalent to an average grade of C, in all courses as well as in the major. Newcomb-Tulane College GPA Calculator (This tool is UNOFFICIAL)