Skip to main content
Tulane Home Tulane Sheild logo linking to site home page

FAQs For Faculty

Click here for the NTC Advising 101 Guide.
How can I report a concern about a student to his or her advisor?

If you would like to reach out to a student (and their academic advisor) for academic reasons, please use the Academic Alert Form. With the Academic Alert Form, instructors can:

  • Identify students who are experiencing academic difficulties
  • Identify high ability students that appear to be unchallenged
  • Identify students not attending class
  • Identify students who have missing assignments/quizzes/tests 
  • Identify students who are uncertain of educational goals and opportunities at Tulane
  • Identify students who need career advice and future direction
  • Connect students with their academic advisor and appropriate services to provide proactive support

For time-sensitive or non-academic concerns:

We encourage you to contact us directly if you want to speak with an academic advisor or have time-sensitive concerns ( or (504) 865-5798.

For non-academic concerns, please fill out the Campus Reporting Form (Maxient) found at ; these forms are reviewed by a team of university staff members and addressed accordingly.

For emergencies, please immediately call Tulane University Police at 504-865-5911 (Uptown) or (504) 988-5555 (downtown). Emergencies are defined as situations in which a faculty member perceives the student in question to be an imminent threat to self or others.

Where can I find the name of a student's academic advisor?

You can find the name of a student’s NTC academic advisor at the top of the Degree Audit. If you are not able to access the student’s degree audit, you can reach out to Advising directly at, or calling 504-865-5798.

Is there an advising liaison for my department?

Yes! Each department has an assigned academic advisor who can serve as a liaison to communicate advising policies and initiatives to departments, and for departments to communicate essential information to the advising center. If you do not know who your advising liaison is, please email Tamar Starck [] for more information.

How can I communicate departmental policies and advertise new classes with the Advising Center?

To share general information with the academic advisors, please reach out to your departmental liaison (or email Tamar Starck [] if you do not know who your liaison is), or email the Advising Center directly:

Where can I access forms such as Major/Minor Declaration and Degree Audit Substitution?

You can download the Major/Minor Declaration form here.

You may download the Degree Audit Substitution form here.

You can download the Course Conflict Resolution form here.

Why post mid-term grades?

Submitting midterm grades allows students to see their academic performance and assess their personal needs. These grade reports are also extremely important for helping support offices identify students who may be facing a wide-range of difficulties.

Academic advisors view students’ midterm grades as an indicator of how a student is doing overall. During the week midterm grades are due, advisors review each student on their caseload for low midterm grades and request a meeting with those students who have a C- or lower reported in at least one class.

How does working with an advisor help me as an instructor?

Advisors are well connected to university resources and up-to-date on current programming meant to support students during tough times. There may be a counseling group, a success coach, or a tutor that can help turn things around for students and advisors are ready to connect students to these resources.

Conversations between student and faculty are always encouraged when there is an issue around a course content, attendance, or student engagement, but sometimes an advisor outside the classroom can help students understand their choices from a wider perspective and teach students how to partner with faculty in professional and constructive ways.

What if a student in my course is pursuing a degree in the School of Professional Advancement (SoPA)

If a student in your class is currently a SoPA student and they are not attending class, not participating, and/or struggling academically, you can file an Academic Alert at and the alert will go to the student’s SoPA academic advisor for follow-up. You can also send your concerns to