Tulane Home Tulane Shield logo linking to site home page

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grade Type


NOTE: if your browser does not support filling form fields in PDF documents, click Open with different Viewer and open with Adobe Acrobat.


Acknowledge the policy and impact of changing a grade to satisfactory/unsatisfactory (S/U).


  • Only one course a semester may be changed to S/U style grading and student needs to be in good standing in order to do so.
  • Courses with S/U grade cannot be used for core proficiency requirements (Writing, Foreign Language, and Quantitative/Formal Reasoning), as well as Science with Laboratory.
  • School, Major and Minor requirements also prohibit S/U grading.
  • No more than ten credits from such courses may count toward degree requirements


1. Speak with or exchange emails with your NTC academic advisor about your interest in changing a course to S/U grade type. Your advisor will:

  • Explain S/U policies and limitations
  • Encourage students to wait until they have a very clear sense of their performance and are CERTAIN they want to change to S/U before making the change.

2. If the course is eligible for S/U and you would like to proceed, complete the electronic form found here(OPENS IN NEW TAB): Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Form.

3. Then, your advisor will review your request and you will be notified.

  • For approved requests, the system will update and your final grade will be entered by your professor as either S (satisfactory) or U (unsatisfactory) when final grades are posted.
  • For denied requests, you may follow up with your advisor with any questions.

Please Note

  • If you would like to reverse your S/U decision and we are still within the window to change grading rules other than audit, you must submit a drop/add form to change the grade type back to standard grade type. Please consult with your academic advisor before doing this.
  • Please refer to this page for Drop/Add form instructions: Drop/Add Form

Page last updated: 10/22/2021 @ 11:59pm.